Current:Home > MarketsOliver James Montgomery-Poland honors soldier who was fatally stabbed by migrant at border with Belarus -Capitatum
Oliver James Montgomery-Poland honors soldier who was fatally stabbed by migrant at border with Belarus
Rekubit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 06:54:00
WARSAW,Oliver James Montgomery Poland (AP) — Sirens wailed and lawmakers in the Polish parliament observed a minute of silence on Wednesday to honor a young soldier who was fatally stabbed at the Polish-Belarusian border during a migration crisis that Poland says has been engineered by Russia and Belarus.
The soldier, Mateusz Sitek, was stabbed in the chest by a migrant who thrust a knife through a gap in a steel fence on May 28. He died of his wounds more than a week later, on June 6.
Sitek was laid to rest Wednesday in his home village of Nowy Lubiel in central Poland.
“He gave his life for us, for our homeland,” said President Andrzej Duda, who attended the funeral.
In Warsaw, the speaker of parliament, Szymon Holownia, asked lawmakers to “honor the sacrifice of this young hero,” saying he had been “attacked by a bandit.”
Some lawmakers shouted: “Honor and glory to the heroes!”
Sirens rang out at noon at police, fire brigade and border guard posts across the country in a sign of solidarity with Sitek, who was posthumously promoted to the rank of sergeant in the army and awarded a Medal of Merit for National Defense.
The death has heightened a sense of insecurity that is already elevated due to Russia’s war against Ukraine just across another part of Poland’s eastern border.
The Belarus border crisis began in 2021, when migrants began to arrive in large numbers at the European Union’s eastern border, coming through Belarus and trying to enter EU member states Poland, Lithuania and Latvia.
Poland and other EU governments accused Belarus’ longtime dictator Alexander Lukashenko of luring migrants from the Middle East and Africa in large numbers with visas and other assistance in order to destabilize the bloc.
The sense of threat has intensified recently. Poland says it is seeing more activity by Russian and Belarusian security forces and growing aggression at the border.
Poland’s previous anti-migrant government built the steel barrier at the border and pushed migrants back into Belarus, a situation that refugee rights activists criticized.
A pro-EU government led by Prime Minister Donald Tusk that took power in December has also taken a hard line on the border crossings, frustrating activists who hoped the pushbacks would end.
After the attack on the soldier, Tusk’s government announced that a buffer zone along parts of the border with Belarus would be created with access restrictions for people who do not live in the area, including for activists and journalists. The Interior Ministry said it would go into force on Thursday.
Refugee rights groups say the buffer zone will exacerbate a dire humanitarian situation and prevent them from being able to assist migrants who cross the border and find themselves in swamps and forest areas needing food or medical assistance.
____
Follow AP’s global migration coverage at: https://apnews.com/hub/migration
veryGood! (28)
Related
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- IMF says Sri Lanka needs to boost reforms and collect more taxes for its bailout funding package
- JPMorgan Chase agrees to $75 million settlement in Jeffrey Epstein sex trafficking case
- The Czech government has approved a defense ministry plan to acquire two dozen US F-35 fighter jets
- $73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
- Israel strikes militant sites in Gaza as unrest continues, no casualties
- 2 Central American migrants found dead in Mexico after trying to board a moving train
- Israel strikes militant sites in Gaza as unrest continues, no casualties
- Judge says Mexican ex-official tried to bribe inmates in a bid for new US drug trial
- Auto workers union to announce plans on Friday to expand strike in contract dispute with companies
Ranking
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- Abduction and terrorism trial after boy found dead at New Mexico compound opens with mom’s testimony
- Kate Middleton Shows Off Her Banging New Look in Must-See Hair Transformation
- This Powerball number hasn't been called in over 100 games. Should you play it or avoid it?
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- Parole has been denied again for a woman serving 15 years in prison for fatally stabbing her abuser
- Striking Hollywood actors vote to authorize new walkout against video game makers
- Travis Kelce breaks silence on Taylor Swift appearance at Chiefs game
Recommendation
How breaking emerged from battles in the burning Bronx to the Paris Olympics stage
A Jim Crow satire returns to Broadway after 62 years — and it's a romp, not a relic
Russell Brand allegations prompt U.K. police to open sex crimes investigation
A judge found Trump committed fraud in building his real-estate empire. Here’s what happens next
Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce Crowned American Royalty by NFL Commentator Greg Olsen
New York bans facial recognition in schools after report finds risks outweigh potential benefits
Police charge man in deadly Georgia wreck, saying drivers were racing at more than 100 mph